Pork Basturma is dry-salted for 3 days in the fridge
3 pieces. Pork tenderloin min. 600 g / pc. Preferably 2 kg in total
1 kg coarse salt
50 g cane sugar
Vacuum salting is coming up
Chaimen: Armenian RUB spice for 1 kg of meat
14 g = 1 tbsp. Salt, fine
43 g = 3 tbsp. Fenugreek powder
43 g = 4 tbsp. Hungarian paprika, sweet
14 g = 1 tbsp. Black pepper
14 g = 2 tbsp. Cumin powder
7 g = 1 tbsp. Cayenne pepper hot
14 g = 2 tbsp. Allspice
14 g = 1½ tbsp. Garlic powder / granules
70 g = 2 tbsp. Red pepper pasta
3 dl ca. Warm water - see later under Chaimen hot RUB sauce
Materials needed to make Basturma
A suitable salt vessel for the meat.
A refrigerator where the meat can be matured for up to 4 weeks.
The environment must be cold and slightly humid. Temperature below 10 ° C and RH 60% humidity.
A suitable bowl in which you can mix the RUB.
Cheese canvas, gauze or the old-fashioned cotton nappies bought in Jysk, Items no. 4914800.
12 pcs. DKK 125.00. They just need to be boiled well before use, as the fabric is bleached with chlorine.
Meat cord and hooks for hanging the meat in the fridge.
Option a smoke oven if you want to add a smoky taste.
Homemade Pork Basturma is now ready for the RUB
The 3 pork tenderloins have been given 2 x 14 hours of cold smoke
First a few facts: Basturma or Pastirma is a spicy, air-dried and hardened piece of meat, which was cooked in the Ottoman Empire in the fall. Maybe even smoked over horse manure. It was originally the method the Ottomans used to preserve their meat. However, the method is widespread from Bulgaria, Macedonia, Greece, Egypt, Turkey, Ukraine, Syria, Armenia and Uzbekistan (Tashkent - Samarkand), perhaps further east, but my journey ended in Tashkent.
Many kinds of animals (meat) were used depending on where one was in this part of the world. Water buffalo, beef, lamb, goat, camel, horse, cow and even pig. In addition, various spices were also used that characterized the country where these spices grew.
In Turkey, I got to know the court in small, cunning places where you could get a cold beer with a "dry snack". When I was around Uzbekistan with a team of Danish businessmen, we paused far from the "Civilization" in a small village where we were to have lunch. We got some heavily dried meat the size of elephant ears, which was dipped in boiling oil in a pan the size of a "Danish Grue kettle". There were only three things we could choose to drink with the food, water, green tea and home-made cognac. When we did not dare to drink the water, it turned into green tea with cognac. A memorable trip with a little headache the next day (Well, a bottle of cognac cost 25.00 DKK.)
Procedure without liability: Since this is the first time I start this task, I have decided to use 3 pieces. fresh pork tenderloin not less than 600 g / pc. Preferably 800 g. Trim the meat. Make sure that tendons and obstructions are removed before you start. Maintain good kitchen hygiene - wash hands and wear gloves when rubbing the RUB.
1. Step: Cover the bottom of the salt vessel with a nice layer of salt. Place pork tenderloin - one at a time - on the salt and sprinkle well with salt. Remember on all sides and the end pieces. Repeat for the next two pork tenderloins. If you want to add some sugar, mix salt and sugar before sprinkling it on the meat. Put the salt vessel in the refrigerator for 3 days at 7 ° C.
2. Step: During these days, the meat forms a lot of moisture. Carefully pour it out every day so that the meat does not soak in the moisture, but avoid pouring out the salt. Feel free to turn the meat every day, if there is a little salt on the top of the meat, take something from the bottom of the salt vessel and sprinkle it on.
3. Step: Take up the meat, rinse it off for salt in cold water. Leave it in cold water for 30 to 60 minutes. Take the meat up and dry it thoroughly for water. Wrap the meat in cheese canvas, gauze or cotton cloth as I have described above. Put the meat under pressure for the next 2 to 3 days. Change the cheese canvas if it gets too wet.
4. Step: Unpack the meat and hang it on hooks in the fridge for the next 4 to 7 days. The meat should be completely dry and "stiff" like a board. Now the RUB can be mixed and rested in the refrigerator overnight. If you want to add a smoky taste, then it is now the meat must be Cold smoked.
5. Step: Rub the meat on all sides with Chaimen hot RUB sauce. Wear gloves for the sake of your fingers and for the sake of your guests, they must help to taste the product. Once all the meat is covered, hang the meat to dry in a cool place for 2 to 3 weeks. A refrigerator is suitable.
6. Step: From the finished Basturma, remove the excess and loose spices, then cut into thin pieces and serve.
Chaimen hot RUB sauce: Combine all the above ingredients together. Add enough water, a little at a time to make the mixture as thick as waffle dough. Blend well to avoid lumps. This mixture may be kept in the refrigerator for several weeks.
Serving: I know it as a "dry snack" for a cold beer, so you should try it too. Try it for breakfast instead of bacon, fried eggs with Basturma.