Pork Pancetta Italian Bacon is salted 5 to 7 days in the fridge
1 to 1.5 kg Pork Belly, kind of pork between ribs and loin
1st time RUB per 1 kg of meat is used
40 g Salt
20 g Brown sugar
1 tsp. Pepper, black
1 tsp. Chili pepper, Cayenne pepper hot
2nd time RUB per 1 kg of meat is used
1 tsp. Salt
2 tsp. Brown gone
2 tsp. Black pepper
1 tsp. Paprika
1 tsp. Nutmeg
1 tsp. Chili pepper
1 tsp. Garlic powder
2 pcs. Bay leaves, finely cut
Alternative spices for Panacetta 2nd time RUB
1 tsp. Thyme, dried
1 tsp. Juniper, crushed
1 tsp. Fennel seeds, crushed
1 tsp. Coriander seeds, crushed
1 tsp. Paprika, smoked
1 tsp. Buckhorn horn powder
Pancetta Italian Bacon
First a few facts: Pancetta is a spicy, air-dried and hardened piece of meat that the Italians make and which we will call bacon. There is the difference that pancetta is not smoked, however I have heard of smoked pancetta, so maybe one should try this next time. Pancetta can be eaten uncooked in thin slices on bread and with beer or wine. Pancetta is actually made in two ways: Flat as we know our bacon with rind on or as a roulade that is rolled and tied but without rind on.
Procedure without responsibility: Buy a good piece of pork without bones - pork breast or rib roast without scratches in the rind, where the distribution of meat and fat is in favor of meat. Weight not less than 1 kg and not more than 2 kg. You have to keep it in your fridge for almost a month, because that's the time it takes to ripen a good Pancetta. Start here:
1. Step: The first time RUB is rubbed well into the meat, which is placed on a cutting board which is placed obliquely in the refrigerator for 5 to 7 days for draining. Start by laying the meat side up and turn the cutting board 180 degrees every day. Every other day, the meat is turned over so that the meat side comes down. The moisture is removed every day.
2. Step: After 7 days, remove the meat and brush off excess salt. Carefully wash the meat with wine vinegar / beer / wine - ½ glass - is suitable for 1 to 1.5 kg of meat. Make a hole in one corner and pull a string through to hang in the fridge. Wipe the meat well and go to the next step.
3. Step: The 2nd time RUB is rubbed well into the meat and the Pancetta is hung up at room temperature for 24 to 48 hours. Then go to the next step.
4. Step: The pancetta is now hung in the fridge at approx. 5 to 7 ° C and RH approx. 70% over the next 21 days. Then go to the next step.
5. Step: The pancetta is now ready to be eaten in thin slices.
Serving: Like a "dry snack" for a cold beer.
Tip: Try it for breakfast instead of bacon, fried eggs and Pancetta.